Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Food Topic: What's for eatin' ?

Post by Tookie on Mon Nov 27 2017, 12:15

We are making SOUP today. 
We never make soup. But, we have two (pretty huge)  portions of pork ribs, with some meat on them. 

So, it was time to try and make soup. (8 years ago we tried, made a huge pan, and then for some weird reason it went sour... ) 

No veggies in today's soup yet, just the pan with water, meat, and herbs/bouillon powder. (stock powder?) Herbamare. 

It smells delicious already!! Fitsie is gonna go shopping for some fresh veggies later, and we hope it will be  yummy at the end of the day.

Look for the little rays of sunshine! 
from me to you
Active Elvenar villages: Gaelyn Mae Sethai, Tookie
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp on Mon Nov 27 2017, 12:27

Add a couple quick glug-glugs of apple cider vinegar (or plain vinegar if you do not have ACV) to help pull all the minerals and gelatin from the rib bones! (Before you add veggies). (think bone broth). So good for you!

GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie on Mon Nov 27 2017, 12:31

we're checking if we have any vinegar....
edit: we DO. we even have a brand new bottle of apple cider vinegar! 

We will add a maximum of 1 tea spoon. The glug glugs are for another time. 
Fitsie doesn't want ANY sour in the soup, but I said that with one spoon, you won't taste it in three liters of soup later. 

I hope.

hopefully a teaspoon of sour will do the trick. Thanks for the advice though!  kissy

we're a bit scared to try anything new... I'm glad we have the bottle though... at least we could try it.  cooking

from me to you
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp on Mon Nov 27 2017, 14:05

You wont taste it, I promise. I have made and canned 100s of gallons of different bone broths, and have always added ACV :) For 3 liters you'd need to add well over 1/2 cup to taste any sour  NodYes Add a tablespoon!

PS...
It's not sour... it's acid, and that's what leeches all the nutritional goodness from the bones, I swear!

PPS... 
You will BOTH benefit from adding ACV into your diet as often as possible. ACV, with the mother in it, for the extra probiotics it provides!

PPSS...
You can even add some to your bath water Tookie  Yup  ACV, not broth lol  ghehe

GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie on Mon Nov 27 2017, 15:38

The broth is done, the bones are out, we plucked off the meat and chucked that back in. Now fitsie went shopping for veggies. 

I'll have him read this, and perhaps we will add a spoon or two next soup.

from me to you
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp on Mon Nov 27 2017, 15:52

Reboil/simmer those bones... with more spices, bouillon, onion, celery and ACV. The bones are not dead n done giving nutrients for you until they almost crumble :) You can freeze n use the broth as your next soup base. Do you have a pressure cooker? Even better to milk those bones.

GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie on Mon Nov 27 2017, 18:50

Too late. We already chucked them, but as we get more experienced in making soup, we may just do this. (we have more pork ribs in the freezer, so, we can try again. this time, it is what it is. 
Delicious, by the way: 

from me to you
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by mindy1701 on Mon Nov 27 2017, 22:25

Yum, that looks so good.  You are inspiring me to make soup - almost.  Really developing a taste for split pea soup.     frying
mindy1701

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp on Mon Nov 27 2017, 23:01

Looks tasty, and healthy!  cooking Is there some of your homemade bread to go with that too??  drooling

I've found the best bone broths I've made, were usually from using the carcasses of any kind of roasted poultry (chicken, turkey, guinea... since I raise and process my own poultry)... and I even clean, blanch, peel and toss in feet too, lol. They tend to have the most natural gelatin which is great for sore achy joints. But if you actually get into making bone broths even large beef or pork knuckle bones from the butcher are good for that too... roasted first for extra flavor. Great for soup bases, but a cup of steamy tasty broth on a cold yucky day is extra good. Lots of info about bone broths online... I'll shut up now lol  blahblah

GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie on Mon Nov 27 2017, 23:19

Definitely home made bread with our soup! 

We did have the feeling the soup was missing something, but we're not quite sure WHAT then. 

I always love a touch of sour, (tomato for instance) but sleepy does not. he absolutely does not want ANY sour in the soup. so... we're wondering. 

And I love that you know so much about it. It's very helpful. Things like knees and feet and stuff are not easy to get here, not even at the butcher. We do have some marrow disks, or that;s what we call them. 
anyway, we also put some of the fat in the soup, and all in all the taste was great. Maybe fry the onions first next time...and some meat. or meatballs. plenty of plans to try little things...

from me to you
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie on Mon Nov 27 2017, 23:20

it's been a while since we cooked.

from me to you
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp on Mon Nov 27 2017, 23:24

Cooking can be it's own kind of therapy... which is why I do so much of it LOL. Plus something yummy simmering on the stove all day is just... comforting, calming.  calm

GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie on Tue Nov 28 2017, 11:39

It is!! I enjoyed the smells all day, every twenty minutes I would just about moan: ooh this smells sooo gooooood!!! sniffffffffffffffffffffff......sniiiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffffffffffff..... 

It's often too much work for us, cooking, but when we both manage to help, yummy things happen.  cooking

Today we're just happy we have more soup ready.

from me to you
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by GuineaUp on Tue Nov 28 2017, 12:10

That's another great thing about making a big pot of soup... multiple meals  thumbs up . And it's always better/even more flavorful the next day  drooling

GuineaUp

Back to top Go down

Post by Tookie on Tue Nov 28 2017, 12:15

ROFL whahahaha

from me to you
Tookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content