Hi, Woody here

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hi, Woody here

Post by Woody on Wed Nov 30 2016, 17:48

@12ss12 wrote:
@Woody wrote:Thank you for inviting me.   Looks like I have been banned from the official forum.  Good to see all of you here.

What did you post that they banned you ?  
Hi all, I am back in the main forum, though I have to say I have been rather soured against BP.

In honesty, the ban was for at true violation.. I am not happy about finding out that BP was bought out by a Chinese company and said so, which was considered political discussion.  With all of the hacking associated with that country, some of it government sponsored, I try to avoid giving my credit card and other information to companies lodged in China.  That said, most every company has ties there any more.

One thing that I liked about Farmerama was that, being based in the EU, rules guiding it were pretty strict.  No place is truly safe and secure online, but at least in the EU, US, etc there are legal fallbacks. Not so in China and some other countries.

I also don't find it entirely unrelated that this crackdown has intensified not long after the transfer.  China's stance on human rights and civil liberties is well known (yet another political comment I made).   Even though BP is a private company still, and not actually owned by the Chinese government (as best we can tell, anyway), in China, those distinctions are not as clear cut and separate as they are in the US and EU.    Even Singapore, previously independent, is no longer truly free.

One thing I would challenge ALL of you.  More and more of us are spending more time online than in "real life" for pleasure and more and more people are relying upon "google" searches or gaming discussion groups to get real information.  Farmerama has not fallen into that pit (and as much as I like political discussion, it is a pit).  However, you all are real people with real lives.  I urge you to take the time to be aware, to listen to people around you, most particularly people with whom you really and truly disagree.  THEN... go out and check to see if anything they are saying is real, or if what you are saying is really and truly really fact.  This means going well beyond the first few clicks of a search. It means going down to sources, tracking them and then tracking the source of those posts. Anything not sourced... means you need to find another source or discard the "information" as rumor.

This has nothing at all to do with any particular political or social opinion.  As an American citizen, one of the values I hole most dear is our ability to accept disagreement, to tolerate voicing of opinions we find despicable.   In fact, it is precisely those objectionable opinions (though I draw the line at graphic details because that is not opinion, just an attempt to shock) that must be MOST protected, for the very reason that in the light of day, seen and heard, can we best recognize them for what they are.   Darkness hides in shadows, but cannot tolerate the light.

My family, many people here lived through horrible times in generations past.   It is all too easy for us, in current generations to demonize not just the thinking of those times, but also the people.  WE would never go there.... and that is precisely the danger.  See, it does not take bad people to do bad things.  A famous saying goes "it only takes good people to look the other way, for bad things to happen". I would go further and say that good people can be swayed to great evil if they don't get correct and true information.

I am not intending to turn this into a real political discussion, even though I have broached that.  I feel this transcends any particular belief or ideology.  We are allowed to disagree, only through differing opinions is this world made what it is. The problem comes when opinion and fact get blurred.  That goes whether it is a fun gaming site that is becoming less and less transparent or the most intense ideological battle.

The answer is the same in either case... honesty and research to be sure your facts truly are facts.
Woody

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 30 2016, 17:54

Short response, the take-over has nothing to do with the official forum blow-up. It is not the first time and was brewing looooooooong before that.

But the freedom of speech here, in my opinion, is better red smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woody on Thu Dec 01 2016, 18:40

Sleepy wrote:Short response, the take-over has nothing to do with the official forum blow-up. It is not the first time and was brewing looooooooong before that
Its not the first blow-up.  I have been around for a few others.

That said, I do think the reliance on non-news, unofficial internet sites for most communication, and the lessening of individual personal contacts (maybe lessening is not correct, but with the readiness of online contacts.. their import and numbers are comparatively less) is creating a big problem.

anyway, I am still playing farmerama some, but nowhere near as much as before.  I will likely check in here from time to time, but again.. not all that frequently.
Woody

Back to top Go down

Post by farmer_broke on Thu Dec 01 2016, 23:09

Hello Woody, glad you made it and hope you are well.

I enjoy your posts as many do hope you will post again here.

Just return here in your own time. hiya
farmer_broke

Back to top Go down

Post by spotsbox on Fri Dec 02 2016, 20:53

Hi Woody, glad you decided to come here, even if EN is becoming a less-than-welcoming place to visit.  I find your thoughts very well organized and expressed, and not at all offensive or overbearing, and agree that things have gotten totally out of hand elsewhere.  I also agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if it doesn't match with mine; respect is deserved by everyone, even if it's just to agree to disagree.  I think many of us have reservations about the sale of BP, especially regarding the freedom of speech issue, and who really is running the show now.  As for avoiding giving credit card information to China, an easy alternative is gift cards - assuming they continue to allow us to pay with gift cards.

I applaud your assertion to be informed and educated about things.  Too many people believe everything they see or hear, simply because someone currently famous said it.  I find the current trend of making hugely important choices simply because "it will make history!" to be both ill advised and detrimental, and the proclivity to say everyone has a right to an opinion as long as it agrees with mine to be offensive and ignorant.  Well thought out reasoning is vital to well made decisions.  To repeat another well known quote, those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  We live in a blame-based time - everything is someone else's fault, and no one is responsible for their own actions anymore.  This viewpoint can only lead to bad things, even from people who, as you stated, are good people.

Anyway, back to the purpose of this post (sorry for going off on a tangent, lol), glad you're here now, and I look forward to reading your posts! kissy
spotsbox

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum